Thursday, 19 May 2016

Thank you, dear author (and researcher)

There was a researcher's name that kept coming back. In economics, in political science, so often, that I thought that he must be informed. (He is not as productive as the Hungarian mathematician Paul Erdõs, he is more of the normal kind.) I wrote to him and said: I want you to know that your books are widely read and used. I like them, thank you. I also want to become a researcher myself one day.

And he replied. He was very happy; it was the best mail in many years.

Even if you get to go to worldwide conferences and spread your word, research can be lonely. Of course some people like that. But it is also nice to know that your efforts are appreciated. So if you can make a researcher happy with an email, please do.

No comments:

Post a Comment