Thursday, 3 March 2016

"We are all completely beside ourselves" by Karen Joy Fowler

There is so much I can NOT tell you about this book, otherwise it loses its purpose. But I can state it is well-written, which I love. Witty in a way that it takes half a sentence to analyse shortcomings of logical fallacies or interpretations of the law made by the state. Clever in a way that some well-chosen scientific terms swish by to explain human behaviour as the most natural of things. And I like the narrative, when characters go missing and are elegantly found, or when the narrator is not completely reliable. And there are words in it Internet could not find! Super many bonus points.

Note that all the reading experience is in Swedish. Regarding that this book has received the PEN/Faulkner Award, California Book Award's Gold Medal, Nebula Award,  ELLE Magazine's Reader's Prize and Specsavers National Book Award, I am guessing it is good in English too.

I have never been this cryptic about a book before. It made me really upset at page 98, for example (Lavender Lit 2015 edition). I understood the events better towards the more complete unfolding at the end, but leaves the question of how thought through the family's decision was, and the university's. So, is it worth the reading? Text-wise, absolutely. Yes. A yes. But be prepared for that special detail about 1/4 in to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment