Wednesday, 18 November 2015

On an asylum seeker's budget, part V

Day (probably) eleven, I got wraps, canapés and candy at an evening lecture. Only after I left did I come up with the idea that that the leftover food could have been given away to the homeless people I would meet on my way. Suddenly, I felt this urge to consume, and I did; I kind of broke my rule to only borrow one book per library visit. I consumed (borrowed) a book! Choice was betwixt a history on drugs or mental illnes. The latter was more easygoing in its tone.

Analysing this further, I guess it is a correct conclusion that consumption is an activity I have gotten used to and it is strange to suddenly not do it anymore. It also changes my habits and forces me to rethink. Like, it costs me to live - whay can I even do for free? Except for enjoying the freezing nature. And even when I get something second hand, I still consume, right? At this point I have to start inventing things out of what I have (and I do have things to make things of). And how do we make a balance between a stable consumption to avoid economic crises, but without overdoing it and being environmentally friendly at the same time? And what if everybody just started consuming (buying) less, everybody at once? On a second thought, never mind that. We consume unevenly from the start, so while me consuming even less is doable, making somebody else to consume less could mean pure starvation. Instead, we should be discussing changes in habits.

Day twelve, I have a sleepover at a friend's place and we make dinner (my friends keep saving me - a local and global social network is, as we see, invaluable. I do try to carefully explain each time that I am happy to bring the food I have at home to contribute to the dish).

Another thought: when does one draw the line between me just consuming and being a person of culture, in so doing by expressing taste and personality by buying something borderline useless but at the same time adding maximised cozyness to a home? And friend's input: there is a pyramide that shows what people are thinking depending on where they are. Anybody with time and strength enough for philosophy is doing well; the others are focused on searching for food. After that stops being a priority, philosophy bubbles up. This is why it is hard to rationally (off topic, a definiton that in itself has gotten criticism) discuss something with a hungry person.

Still same day: the friend who invited me for dinner earlier but lost her voice got her voice back and we are supposed to have dinner day thirteen. She suggests that she could cook something on a very tight budget to give me inspiration. Turns out that her general rule of thumb is to not make each meal cost more than ten crowns. With peas and lentils as a base, it is perfectly possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment