Friday, 3 July 2015

A week(end) from the 1800's at Torekällberget

"Oh I remember these!" I exclaimed and then corrected myself: I have of course not lived in the 19th century, but I have been told that cutting out silhoutte portraits was quite common at the time.
A generation clash or a meetup, if you want: about 1885 to the left and before 1910 to the right.
"The trick is to dress in a cold room - the clothes preserve the cold. And not to wear any underwear."
Pösmunkar were offered, made accordingly to a recipe from one of the first Swedish cookbooks. Best description of this "cookie" is that is tastes like a piece of slightly sweetened dough. Maybe, just maybe, my taste buds are not adapted to 19th century flavours details.
I liked the flat bread too. The stove was preheated throughout the whole previous day, so the bread only takes a few seconds to make (never more than a minute). 
The 1800's shop was open! I bought a soft chocolate candy.
And I helped to complete this sculpture by adding a few pieces that made the hair of the model come more alive. Me and the artist exchanged some thoughts about art, and she introduced me to environmental art and suggested I should go to Örebro OpenART for the outdoor installations. I, in turn, recommended a visit to Wanås.
The (probably) best part about this weekend-long event was the outdoor theatre. The stages were old houses and actors dressed up just like back then. A horse carriage dropped off an actor, 
leeches were sold to cure most things, silver stolen to finance a trip to America (but returned) and other drama took place.
Not the least - the question of starting school had come up.
And how did it work when fiddlers walked around and played on violins?
Again, loved it.
There also was other entertainment. Pressing Face Against Crushed Glass Whilst Someone Stands On Your Neck-entertainment.
"Stop! Stop!" the guy in the red cap says to the other guy, who is about to feast on a piece of lightbulb with spices on it. "There might be gluten in this."
But it went fine. Volunteers were voluntarily dragged out from the crowd and saved many of the acts ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment